Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hi! I'm a Megan...

What does Apple do to appeal to females to boast sales? (Besides recognizing that women are just as capable of looking at the specs, not the color and design, of a computer?) Why, it's to make a "dating" computer commercial of course!



So... is Apple going to start selling Megans? Will they be pink and exclusively marketed to women? Only time will tell!

*edit*

The last bit was sarcasm, but truthful, since Dell has already done the whole marketing laptops to women deal. You have to dig through their "della" website, about 3 pages deep to just get past the fluff and frills to the actual specs (hard drive space, RAM, other capabilities, etc). Yes... Dell made a separate website called Della, another company reinforcing the gender binary that society instills (tries to anyways) in us all. Well, I reject it Dell. Anybody with real knowledge of computers knows it take more that a fancy cover to make a laptop l33t.

So go ahead Apple, market to women. You're going to have already anyways. I just hope you don't do what almost every other company does... reinforcing the preconceived differences between men and women. I must say though, you're off to a decent start. The woman is wearing comfortable clothes and it asking questions about the specs of the PC, nothing too technical though, but better than nothing. I just hope your next commercial DOESN'T sound like this...

Man: Hi, I'm a Mac
Woman: And I'm a Megan, Apple's new computer made exclusively for chicks!
Man: Oh, sounds cool, what can you do?
Women: I have an assortment of fashionable designs to match any style!
*Woman cloths change to show off pink, flowery, and frilly designs that are stereotypically loved by females.*
Woman: Don't I look pretty in pink! *smiles, kicks up a high heeled leg, and gives high pitched giggle*
Man: *whistles* Wow, looking good there.
Woman: Thank you. I'm thin, light weight, and pack 8 hours of battery life for your pleasure. Also, I'm fully customizable and upgradable.
Man: Really? Let me try. *Her breast grow, and clothing shrinks*
Woman: *gasps and make and "O" shape with her mouth*

*Mac's ending chime sound*


I hope I never see Apple use this...

No comments:

Post a Comment